Friday, June 5, 2009

Paciencia y Fe!




On Wednesday, June 3rd, I took several deserving Academy II students (as well as one student each from Academies I and III) to see In The Heights, the Tony and Grammy award winning hit musical by Lin-Manuel Miranda set in New York City's Dominican-American neighborhood, Washington Heights. On Monday I found out that the celebrated author left the show in February, but I was still totally stoked to see the show. I found it to be a cross between Rent and West Side Story that worked well for the most part but that gratuitously mimiced the aforementioned classics. Yes, Rent is a classic! At the end of the day, I thought the show was great. Highlights included the title number In The Heights, 96,000, The Club, Carnaval Del Barrio, the very touching Alabanza and the reaffirming Finale.

The four leads in our upcoming production of High School Musical were in attendance. I hope all of you took a lot away from this amazing performance!

The students enjoyed the show. We were about 30 minutes in before they got accustomed to the periodic Spanish dialogue and lyrics. All in all, I highly recommend the show to Broadway buffs and occasional theater goers alike. Even if you don't speak Spanish or you've never been to Washington Heights, you'll appreciate the music and the story. I must admit that I was deeply moved by the last few minutes of the finale. I won't give anything away...I'll just urge you to go and see it. Thanks to the parents and Ms. Kinast for accompanying us.

1 comment:

Shamarie said...

My honest opinion is that this show was really great. I would recommend anyone to go and see this interseting, emotional and hysterical play. I enjoyed this experience and it was a wonderful oppurtunity. >>> Shamarie Williams

My Quibblo Quiz Result for: LOST Trivia


LOST Trivia
100%
(10 out of 10 Questions Correct)
Fun quizzes, surveys & blog quizzes by Quibblo