Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Fela! ORI-GI-NAL NO ARTIFICIALITY!




Last Friday, I saw Fela! on Broadway which chronicles several salient vignettes of the late musician Fela Anikulapo Kuti's life, including his controversial and combative involvement in 60's/70's Nigerian politics but most notably, his music, known as Afrobeat. The audience is enthralled upon entrance to the theatre given the production designers' spot on recreation of the artist's Afrika Shrine in Lagos, Nigeria. The show was excellent. 96 hours later, I am still enamored by the memory of the sights, sounds, story and awesome performances. The lead role is alternated between two actors but the performance I attended featured one Mr. Sahr Ngaujah. He remarkably brings Fela to life through voice, storytelling and recreation of the original Fela's swagger. It was a very unique Broadway experience that I thoroughly enjoyed. Although a self-proclaimed music afficianado, I was introduced to Fela's catalogue a bit later in life via an Ailey piece by choreographer Ronald K. Brown entitled Grace in 1999. The piece insprired me to take a few classes with him, but back to the musical:

I have never seen such creative and inventive lighting in a Broadway show as there was in Fela! I found the use of technology to be groundbreaking. The dance compositions were authentic and refreshing. The dancers are energetic and tireless. The backing Brooklyn-based Afrobeat band Antibalas did a great job as well.
The costumes totally rocked as well. The sound design was top-notch. We were dancing in our seats. It is also important to note the educational value of the production...I learned a lot about Nigerian culture and the political strife of the depicted era which gave me a better understanding of Fela's music.

Lillias White, who played Fela's mother, delivers a solo near the end of the play that is breathtaking. Dressed in pure white traditional Nigerian garb and perched atop a staircase amidst a visually stunning dream sequence in which Fela visits her in the afterlife, the songstress belts a ballad so powerful the audience eagerly awaits every note on the edge of their seats. Seriously, I couldn't believe my ears...she was awesome! It was probably the best live vocal I've ever heard. They should perform this number at the Tony's.

Go see Fela! on Broadway before it's gone.

No comments:

My Quibblo Quiz Result for: LOST Trivia


LOST Trivia
100%
(10 out of 10 Questions Correct)
Fun quizzes, surveys & blog quizzes by Quibblo